Monday, May 25, 2009

Motivation!

I read an article very interesting. It talked about a difficult topic in our development as teachers. Motivating someone else to study is something hard in these times, because there are a lot of things that the children could find more fun and easier to do. And the author knows it, thats why I chose this article, because its a daily life problem that we should be worry about.

The author talked about the importance of self-esteem and how this could affect the children`s motivation. I completely agree with him because I think that to have self-confident is a crucial factor in our learning. If we trust in our skills and we are not scared to fail, it is easier to confront whatever we want.

In Chile, teenagers have not motivation at all. I know it because in my ELAB I see boys and girls who dont want to learn anything. They don´t feel comfortable in a English class because they don´t know what to say. Sometimes I think that they are not interested in to learn anything. And it is a shame because that is the reflect of our society.

See you.

Batgirl!

7 comments:

  1. It's so sad to see that situations, at least for me, because I think that teachers are reponsible about the lack of motivation that students have.

    :D see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barabara:
    I think you are right when you say that student could think that there are more interesting things for studying than the subjects in the school. For this reason, it is very important to understand that we, as GOOD teachers, must pay attention in consider them as subjects.
    On the other hand, I’m not quite sure when you say that students are not interesting in learning. Do you really think it? Because, I don’t think so. They feel that anybody ask them and they don’t feel involved in society and their awn learning, for this reason they don’t want to participate, the only thing that the are doing is being sit and listen a knowledge or culture that they do not know.
    We as teacher must pay attention in their tastes, culture, history life and work with all these element to make a much closer teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey !!
    Yea, we both can see that...
    you know, students don't care about English, because it's nothing related to their culture. It made them feel insecure and embarrased. Especially when they have to say something out loud. Other classmates make fun of them and their self-esteem turns out to be lower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara
    Well I agree with what you wrote, because I think first of all that we must believe in ourselves and in our knowledge. But as we know, students here in Chile feel that they are alone, and no one is supporting them, is terrible becuase they are kids and they need to hear words like how smar or how good at something they are.
    I hope that teachers can solve this problem and could see students in their classroom waiting for learn and particiate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I partially agree with you, because in my experience during this semester of ELAB I have seen some girls and guys that like English Language classes. but, it is right that they arejust a few compared to rest of students that are not even interested in attending to classes.

    Be careful with your writing, you have commited several mistakes of spelling and some of grammar.

    Take care, good luck.

    Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara
    Yes, it is true, motivation in English`s classes are not enough in some schools specially in pucblic ones, although is our duty as a future teachers to prove that motivatin can be developed in any school. Our self-esteem is very important and you`re right, if you want to criticize the motivation in Chile try to not be narrow mind. It will be better to consider for you to separated between public and private school.

    Take care ^^
    bye bye

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi barbara,
    I chose the same article because I think before practicing or learning something with your students, first you have to motivate them.
    see you

    ReplyDelete